What is the difference between c-diff and ulcerative colitis?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: I have had C-diff for over a year and now am on the 5th round of Vancomycin. I've been told I will stay on this for the next year. Is C-diff ulcerative colitis?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no they are not the same thing

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

NO, they are not the same thing.

Inflammatory bowel disease refers to inflammation of the intestines while it is true that infection such as c diff causes the intestines to be inflamed it is not the same as ulcerative colitis.

Ulcerative colitis is one of the main types of inflammatory bowel disease. It is DEFINED as one of the inflammatory bowel diseases that IS NOT related to infection.
It is a recurring inflammation of the intestines particularly the colon.
Though the exact cause is not known, it is thought to be related to the following: genetics or family history, certain disordered reactions of the immune system.
There are certain findings that are seen on colonoscopy or on barium enema that are typical of ulcerative colitis

Summary: (1) c diff infection can cause inflammation of the intestines but it is not ulcerative colitis

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I may come back with other questions. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
You can feel free to do so at any time