What is the difference between a rhythm issue involving the heart and heart disease?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 10 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Does a disorder of the heart rhythm or conduction including atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia and bundle branch block. mean an individual has heart disease? if not what is the difference between a rhythm issue involving the heart and heart disease?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rhythm disturbances are a form of heart disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.

There are many types of heart disease. Some have to do with the pumping function of the heart and others have to do with the rhythm. When you have a rhythm disturbance like atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia or bundle branch block, this disrupts the electrical activity through the heart and is one type of heart disease.

When the heart muscle, vessels or valves of the heart are damaged this can cause problems with the heart not being able to pump the blood to the body effectively even if the rhythm is normal. Typically when people think of heart disease they think of coronary artery blockages causing heart attacks, but that is just one type of heart disease.

I hope this information is helpful and thank you for using HCM.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T