What is the difference between a MRI and a MRI with contrast?

Posted on Fri, 29 Apr 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was wondering what the difference between a mra and a mra with contrast is. I had a regular mra of my neck and arteries to check for a torn carotid artery, but was concerned if something like that would show without contrast.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Contrast is not obligatory in every MRI scan

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms,

MRI with contrast injection used to make more visible some structures. There is no need for contrast MRI in every examination.
There are examinations e.g. heart scan which usually done with contrast, and there are some examinations that can be done both with contrast or without it.
If during the scan the physician notices that there is not enough visibility, then they continue with contrast.
If they performed the scan without contrast, it means they could obtain all the information they needed without it.
So, don't worry.

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 12 minutes later
so is a mra of my neck and carotid artery with no contrast reliable in diagnosing a torn carotid artery
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms,

In case of torn carotid artery MRA usually gives all the information without contrast
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 0 minute later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you a good health
Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist