What is the difference between Zoloft and Sertraline?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question
Hi could you please tell me what is the difference between zoloft 50mg and sertima 50mg or zolot 50mg?. is there any difference? .

Thanks
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Same medicine, different brands.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Zoloft and Sertima are both brands of sertraline which is an antidepressant. Zoloft is made by Pfizer Labs while Sertima is made by Intas. You can use either of the two, though probably Sertima would be slightly cheaper than Zoloft.

I guess Zolot 50 mg is another brand of sertraline but I do not think it is a popular one as I have never come across this name. I tried a Google search but even that provided no information. If you have to choose a brand of sertraline, I would suggest that both Zoloft and Sertima would be better than Zolot as they are manufactured by good and well-known companies.

I hope this clears up things for you. Please feel free to ask in case you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: What is the difference between Zoloft and Sertraline? 4 minutes later
I have really bad social anxiety, especially if I have to do presentation in front of 2 or more people.. How long I have to take the medication for?. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At least a year or more.

Detailed Answer:

There is no fixed timeline. Usually people need to take the medicine for at least around a year or more. You should continue the medicine for at least a few months after you get well, as otherwise there is a higher risk of relapse.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry