Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is the cure for stuffy nose and how to get rid of fluid in ear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4843 Questions
DR. GRIEF, Thanks for your attention. I have had a long history of sinus problems and live in west XXXXXXX (a dry dusty place) My nasal passages seem clear for the most part and I don't think I have the usual sinus infection that I have had in the past, I am a little stuffy, but can breathe through my lower sinus pretty well. It seems to me that my upper sinus is stopped up. Not much pressure, but some. IT comes and goes in intensity, no head ache or heavy pressure. I am pretty dry, no green mucus or runny nose, but my right ear has fluid in it that I can't get rid of. No pain and can tilt my head and hear it bubble and/or move. Tried Claritin for 4-5 days with no result. Tried no medication for a day and moved to plain Musinex for several days. IT resulted in no drainage and no relief to the ear fluid. Tried ear drops (chamomillia/mercurius solubilis/sulfer)Walgreen Homeopathic ear ease/dry drops. Nothing. I am not suffering any real pressure but am tired of the stopped up ear. What do you think? Thanks! XXXXXXX F.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX While reading your medical history, I have come through that you are being treated for high blood pressure. One cause of your stopped up ear could be the oscillations in your blood pressure. So, I'd suggest to keep monitoring your blood pressure especially when you have such episodes and record the results for further evaluation. Claritin is antibiotic which is used to treat infection. If no result from Claritin, then, : - claritin is not the antibiotic of choice (should shift to another) - yours is not an infection issue. At this point, I'd suggest to consult with an ENT specialist to check the ear (especially the inner ear). Sometimes, changes in the pressure or problems of the inner ear could give such symptoms. All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor