Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What is the cure for severe insomnia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I have severe isomnia - i will not fall asleep for years. Ambien was my aid but it no longer helps at all. 2 tablets of carisooprodol (350 mg each) puts be to sleep for about9 hrs. and I feel good. My family dr will not prescribe without the approval of my psychiatrist; psychiatrist will not prescribe without the approval of my family doctor. Neither gives me an answer as to why. Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Addiction potential Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. Most physicians currently are reluctant to prescribe carisoprodol or XXXXXXX because it has clear addictive potential, as well as potential for serious withdrawal. There is no perfect answer for medications to use for insomnia; since it is a chronic disorder, your body gets used to them. Benzo's such as oxazepam can be effective but lead ultimately to the same issue... My best advise would be to see a Sleep Medicine specialist, who can also help with the non-medication aspects of your sleep hygiene. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor