What is the cure for hydrocodone withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: What can I do to help me with hydrocodone withdrawal?
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Early symptoms of withdrawal include:

Agitation
Anxiety
Muscle aches
Increased tearing
Insomnia
Runny nose
Sweating
Yawning

Late symptoms of withdrawal include:

Abdominal cramping
Diarrhea
Dilated pupils,
Goose bumps
Nausea
Vomiting

Taking the following over the counter medications in recommended doses might help:

1. Purchase over-the-counter analgesics. These medications include acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen , and they will help you to manage the body aches that you are going to feel during withdrawal. The small aches that you've been handling easily with narcotics are going to feel magnified as the drugs leave your system. Ibuprofen and naproxen are both NSAIDS which work very similarly and if you mix them, remember each contributes towards the maximum dose of any NSAID (dosing for acetaminophen would be independent).

2. Buy an antihistamine with sedating effects. Sedating antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) or meclizine (Dramamine II) will help you to conquer the nausea and sleep through a lot of the queasiness.

3. Get medication to treat diarrhea. Your best choice is loperamide hydrochloride (Immodium AD). While this medication is structurally similar to the opioid meperidine (Demerol), loperamide doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier.
By acting on the opioid receptors in your intestines, loperamide will stop intestinal spasms and the diarrhea that comes with them. The medication moves food more slowly through your gut and increases water absorption. Many people report that this medication is the most important key to easing withdrawal symptoms.
Only take loperamide if you need it, but take double the suggested dose on the package. Remember, your intestines are used to a barrage of narcotics. A normal dose simply isn't going to be as effective.
Skip loperamide if you have colitis or if you have a high fever of F 100.4 (38 C) or more. Also, don't take it if you start to notice blood or mucus in your stools.

You might consult your doctor for prescription medications like clonidine to reduce your anxiety.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor