What is the correct window period for HIV antibody test?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Doctors,

I need to take clarification on HIV P24 antigen and anit bodies. After some protected sexual encounters last year, I did HIV testing (antibody and P24 antigen). It came as negative last week. I read in internet that some cases dont generate antibody in full life time. So in that case will antigen will get detected.or Do I need to do PCR testing as well. My WBC is 8500 and lympocytes is 2200.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibodies against HIV appears within 3months.Persists throughout the cours

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Your information is not correct. There is no such condition with HIV infection where there could be a life-time absence antibodies in the presence of infection. P24 antigen test appear early can disappear after sometime. PCR test also will be positive throughout the course of the disease.
Don't confused with unauthorized source contents.
You had protected exposures. So you are unlikely to get infected with HIV.
DR S.Murugna
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor.The reason I asked is I was having medrol in Feb for my skin condition. So thought it might have affected result. The last test taken was last week. Let me know if I can consider my test conclusive
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medrol tablets can affect the antibody level.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Your WBC count and lymphocyte counts are within normal limits. Tab. Medrol can affect the antibody formation. But not to the extent of negative report even after a year after exposure. P24 antigen test would not be positive after a year. PCR test would not be affected by the Medrol tablets.
Dr S Murugan
.