What is the conversion dosage of Nature-Throid to Cytomel?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: What is the conversion dosage of Nature throid to Cytomel? I am currently on 1 grain ,65mg, of nature throid which is currently unavailable, along with 50mg of Levothyroxine. What would be the appropriate Cytomel dosage if I continue to use 50 mg of Levothyroxine?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cytomel dose

Detailed Answer:
In order to provide a safe recommendation to you with regards to this conversion, I would first like to know if you have a history of heart problems such as blocked arteries, past heart attack, angina or have you undergone heart stents or bypass surgery? I would also like to know if you have had strokes or mini-strokes in the past or your neck carotid arteries are known to have some blockages? And finally, have you ever been diagnosed with PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease)?
After you advise me of the above, I will give you precise recommendations on the conversion.
However, in general I must emphasize that most thyroid experts do not recommend use of cytomel in routine use. Levothyroxine alone should suffice. But I will provide a rough idea of equivalent doses anyway for your knowledge.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
I have no history of heart problems or any of the above mentioned problems whatsoever and have tolerated the Nature throid with a average heart rate of 65-68 and average blood pressure of 115/72. I am very active and in good physical condition. I also need to reiterate that I have a somewhat higher Reverse T3 level. The Nature throid is simply not available is the reason for the change.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the delay in responding.

Typically when I see a patient in my practice requesting the above, I use 25 mcg of Cytomel (liothyronine) when converting from 1 grain (65 mg) of Nature-thyroid.
However, a comprehensive physical examination is necessary before I arrive at this decision.