What is the complete body elimination time of HCG injection?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: how much time/days it would take a 500iu HCG injection to be out of the system?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Around 12 to 14 days

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.
The half life of exogenously administered beta HCG is around 2.32 days. According to that for completion elimination of beta from the body it may take around 12 to 14 days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later
thank you doctor for the reply..only 500 iu would take so much time?? usually in ivf 10000 units are given before egg retreival and thy are normally out within 14 days... this 500 iu was given to me after one week of egg transfer and beta hcg test is there after 7 days...so then will it give false positive
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Quantitative blood test

Detailed Answer:
Even in lower doses it may take around five half lives time for complete elimination of the beta HCG from body.
Urine pregnancy test kit can give positive result at around 50mIU/ml beta HCG levels.
Whereas blood test can give positive result even at around 5mIU/ml.
Better to go for quantitative blood test to find out the possibility of pregnancy and to eliminate false positive result.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 hours later
Last question please...will not bother you after this :)

So a 235 beta on day 5 after the 500 iu hcg shot and 11 days after egg transfer will be interpreted how by you? am i pregnant or not?
Brief Answer:
Test has to be repeated

Detailed Answer:
Usually it is difficult to come to one diagnosis with single beta HCG value.
Because in case of pregnancy after around 11 days of egg transfer, beta HCG level could be between 5 to 426 mIU/ml.
Whereas previous beta HCG injection can also give positive value as elimination of drug may not be same in all women.
So, to come to one conclusion, better to repeat the test after two to three days.
If beta HCG level increases, you can consider yourself pregnancy. Ultrasound at around 5 to 6 weeks of gestation helps in confirming pregnancy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T