What is the commonest presentation of acid reflux in a child?

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: how do you know when a 2 month old has acid reflux for some other stomach problems keep in mind this after going through four or five hours at a time of screaming and switching formula 6 times until we landed on Nutramigen cheese now also on Zantac for babies as well as Mylanta
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper burping is important

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The commonest presentation of acid reflux in a 2 month old baby is hiccups. In other words, you should suspect reflux if you find the baby is having repeated hiccups. The muscle tone of babies is low and therefore the muscular sphincter between the junction of the food pipe and the stomach is not strong enough to prevent reflux. You should therefore burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. Switching back to breast milk is another important step. You can try the other mentioned steps but I am not certain that they would help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 minutes later
Thanks soosos much this helps a lot now I'm almost 100 percent possible it is acid reflux because she has constant hiccups
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
All you need to do is to keep the head end elevated.

Feel free to ask me back in case you ever have a health related query in the future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 hours later
my daughter is nonstop crying I have no idea why
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to colics

Detailed Answer:
Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds and that could be the reason for her incessant cry. There are two things that you need to do. Firstly, you should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. Secondly, you can give Coliaid Drops when needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician