What is the cause of the upper abdominal pain and trouble in defecation?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi
I have a stomach ache for a week
It s not constant and happen at times
I have trouble to go to the toilet
I have no gaz
I don’t vomit and wish for
The pain is at the top of the stomach at the back of my first belt of addominal

Can you help
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trouble in going to toilet is suggestive of gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
If pain is located centrally then it could be a stomach ulcer. Due to the food irritating the stomach mucosa directly as it touches it, we get pain.But ulcer causes pain soon after eating and is better a couple of hours after eating.But as in your case pain is associated with trouble in defecating therefore chances are there that you are having gastroenteritis.Bacterial and protozoal infection causes severe inflammation of intestines leading to spasm.This spasm causes pain in upper abdominal area.

Suggestion-
Take omeprazole twice daily (over the counter pain due to gastritis responds to it)
Get a stool test done and if its positive antibiotic and antiprotozoal would be given.
An antispasmodic like dicyclomine in combination of anti inflammatory should be taken for intestinal spasms and pain.
Hope i was helpful.

Take care,
Dr. Ramesh Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad