What is the cause of sudden and severe pain while urination after a sneeze?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Doctor,

Today morning after I woke up I went to urinate. I had just begun to urinate and everything was good when I suddenly sneezed hard. Due to the sudden sneeze my urine was kind of forced to gush out and I immediately felt a sharp n burning pain till I finished urinating. The pain subsided immediately after the urine stopped. Now each time I go for urinating, I get a terrible pain along with a burning sensation ... what could be wrong? Would I have wounded myself due to the pressure from the sneeze? Kindly advise..
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Could be due to passing a small urinary stone .

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Based on the facts that you have posted the possible explanation for sudden and severe pain while urinating on sneezing is that you mostly have a small stone in bladder.

Due to sudden increase in intra abdominal pressure while sneezing, the stone has passed out forcibly through urethra causing a injury to delicate urethral mucosa and that is giving you pain while passing urine .

Get your routine urine tests done .

Start taking antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with urine alkalizer thrice daily .

Ensure to rink more water .

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. P. T. Patil,
Urologist