What is the cause of soreness in the right nipple?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a sore right nipple for over a month now. I am certain its not from friction of clothing or sheets. It looks normal but may be slightly harder than the left one.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need ultrasound and CT chest and biopsy if needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, it needs to be evaluated by a surgeon preferably a thoracic surgeon. An ultrasound of both chest walls and breast tissue will be done and if needed biopsy if any swelling is noted would be unavoidable.

Such swellings in breast tissue can also be present in males though incidence is rare. So any aggressive condition should be ruled out.

Meanwhile OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be used.

For more detailed workup a careful chest and axillary area examination should be done for any signs of lymphnodes enlargement.

A chest X-ray or CT scan chest may also be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T