What is the cause of shoulder and neck pain?
Thanks for your query.
Your symptoms suggest the possibility of a condition called Cervical Spondylosis.
Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder in which there is abnormal wear on the cartilage and bones of the cervical spine.
More common symptoms are:
1. Neck pain (may radiate to the arms or shoulder)
2. Neck stiffness that gets worse over time
3. Loss of sensation or abnormal sensations in the shoulders, arms, or (rarely) legs
4. Weakness of the arms or (rarely) legs
5. Headaches, particularly in the back of the head
Diagnosis can be confirmed only by a proper physical examination and with the help of few investigations like:
1. X-ray Cervical Spine, lateral and PA view.
2. MRI Cervical Spine
So I suggest you consult a Orthopedic Surgeon for the proper examination and confirmation of the diagnosis.
1. Physiotherapy - To learn exercises to do at home
2. Analgesics (pain killers)
3. Cortisone injections to specific areas of the spine
If the pain does not respond to these measures, or there is a loss of movement or feeling, surgery is to be considered.
I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of neck pain and shivering
- What causes dizziness and neck pain
- Shoulder and neck pain and breathlessness
- What causes rightsided neck pain
- What causes shoulder and neck pain while driving
- Shoulder neck pain endometriosis
- What causes constant neck pain
- Neck pain and shoulder pain
- What could be the cause of neck pain
- What can cause neck pain