What is the cause of severe back pains in night?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, I am having severe back pains through the night. It actually wakes me in the morning. These are relieved upon having a bowel movement or several bowel movements after I wake in the morning and is then gone the rest of the day only to return the next night. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there is possibility of infection which can be vir

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
As per your history and symptoms there is possibility of infection which can be viral.
Another possibility of hormonal imbalance.

I will advise to start antacids [proton pump inhibitors like] rabeprazole.
You may need to take a course of anthelmintic like mebendazole consulting your doctor.
If not relieved you may need to do investigation like complete blood count,USG abdomen and if required MRI.

Due to compression of this nerve root there can be back pain.
For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 39 minutes later
I would like to take you all the way back to when this started as i was thinking about it. About 7 months ago i had about a two week period where i would have the same symtoms as i previously explained. In addition i would have a bowel movement up to 5 times per day. The bowel movements were very thin. As i made a bowel movement, i would still feel a lot of pressure as if i had to go again. This lasted about two weeks then seemed to get better. However for the last 7 months this severe back pain through the night has come in gone. Maybe a week or two at a time. Also you had mentioned vitamins, i take a multivitamin on a regular basis. I have not lost any weight. Just some more information that may help you get a better read on the situation. Thanks .
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI spine will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
MRI SPINE will help in diagnosis of your back pain.
Methylcobalamine 1500 mcg daily orally will help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and Tens may give you instant relief.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.