What is the cause of penis bending during erection?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Use to penis being straight at erection. Now it is bent in the middle creating a curve like shape. (Male 55) Why is that?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably you are suffering from Peyronie's disease Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Probably you are suffering from Peyronie's disease but you didn't mentioned whether you have pain or not during erection.This disease is associated with painful erection.It is due to formation of fibrous band under the skin.It generally happens due to trauma,might got during intercourse.It may also happen without any cause .However,it also occurs after surgery or radiation therapy of prostate cancer. Rarely it also occurs in Dupuytren's contracture.In this condition contracture also occurs in palm. You need clinical examination.Fibrous band can be felt by hands. You should consult your surgeon for your problem.You may be only advised for regular observation and some conditions resolve by its own,whereas some require treatment in the form of steriod infection in fibrous band or verapamil injection.Other options are radiation therapy,vitamin E etc. Firstly wait and watch should be done in your case then steroid injection can be tried in band. Surgical removal of band is the last option. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 44 hours later
Thanks but not sure I understand what's going on. There is no pain in erection. The erection is not firm (semi) and the penis is curving at the middle. this just happened this year. Patient in very good health and active.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Curve in penis is due to partial erection of penis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back If it is not associated with pain then other causes should be excluded. Firstly patient should be given psychological therapy and if there is any stress or anxiety factor, it should be resolved. Patient is 55 years old so other causes of erectile dysfunction should also be ruled out. You need few investigations like random blood sugar,Penile Doppler can be done for confirmation. If your overweight, try to reduce it.If you take alcohol or smoker then you should quit it. You may need medicines for erectile dysfunction after proper evaluation. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX