Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

What is the cause of nagging discomfort in lower back from time to time?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3613 Questions
I am having a nagging discomfort in my lower back and on my right side from time to time.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Age related Arthralgia Needs Care Detailed Answer: Hello I read your query and i want to reassure you that these back pains are very common and innocuous at your age group, 70 % people of your age have this problem. Age related bone degeneration with additional loss of bone mineral density during post menopausal age secondary to lack of estrogens adds to the fragility of the bones. There is decreased spaces between backbones intervertebral discs all of which give birth to back aches. Here, the pain worsens with stretching, twisting, walking, or bending. or strenuous activities. So you need to rest with the comfortable position you feel in bed to relieve pain. so does coughing, straining, sneezing, or Valsalva maneuvers do to increase pain so avoid them and treat them early cough and constipations. To be on the safer road I would advise an MRI scan of back bone and a bone scan to rule out worrisome conditions like sciatic, spondylosis etc , You need to lose weight, excercise, physical therapy, occupational therapy and unloading therapies to help the back pain, A physio therapist would be of great assistance. You can always treat the pain with topical pain killers which are available over the counter. You may take over the counter oral NSAID like ibuprofen whenever the pain is severe. Skeletal muscle relaxants like Tizanidine would give added benefits; but you will require a prescription. Intra-articular corticosteroid injections are used if pain unbearable and nonresponsive to above mentioned medications. Injections can be provided by back specialist. Hope I was of some help. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good luck and take some very good care of yourself. Regards Dr Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor