What is the cause of high pulse rate?

General Surgeon
Question
What is causing my heartbeat, or pulse rate, to rise above 100 and remain there for a long period of time? I do workout almost every day. However, in the past, after exercising, the pulse rate gradually returns to normal after a couple hours.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can be caused by many factors including dehydration, caffeine intake, hyperthyroidism and heart disease (like heart insufficiency). The last one is more possible if you have also shortness of breath after physical activity.
I suggest you to consult your doctor and have blood work, thyroid tests and heart ECG done. You should also consult cardiologist, have heart ultrasound and stress test done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.