What is the cause of glaucoma?

Posted on Sat, 17 May 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: What is the cause of glaucoma?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glaucoma is caused by raised intraocular pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to health care magic.
Iam Dr dadapeer, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

Glaucoma is a disease charactetized by increased eye pressure resulting in loss of vision because of damage to the optic nerve.

The causes are many and the main problem is raise of the intraocular pressure as a result of impaired drainage of aqueous, a fluid present in the eye resulting in increase of the intraocular pressure.

The causes responsible for this are hereditary, age related changes, injury, use of drugs like steroids....

The treatment is by reducing the increased intraocular pressure by using anti glaucoma drugs.

The diagnosis of glaucoma is made by measurement of intraocular pressure and examination of optic nerve head and visual field.

Since glaucoma causes irreversible loss of vision diagnosis and treatment at the earliest is necessary to prevent loss of vision.
Hence people aged more than 40 years shoul be screened for glaucoma routinely once in a year.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
What is the best food for glaucoma patient.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Foods rich in antioxidants.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up query.
There is no direct evidence to say that food and nutrition plays a role in causation of glaucoma, but foods rich in antioxidants prevent damage to nerve fibre layer of retina. Hence foods rich in antioxidants help to prevent progression of glaucoma and also prevents against other eye problems which occur as a result of deficiency of antioxidants.

The foods rich in antioxidants are green leafy vegetables, tomato, citrus fruits, egg yolk, sea foods...

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist