What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been drained?

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have excessive sweating . I can do any activity for 30 minuites then I start sweating profusely. The water runs down my face and I have to keep wiping it off my whole body gets wet as does my clothes and my face looks like I have a terrible sunburn. I have to lay down and put my over head fan on for about 30 minutes in the mean time I keep wiping the sweat off my face and my face stay red quite a while after that and I feel drained as if all the water is gone from my body. I have been to the doctor and he said she he doesn't know and just blows it off. My friends are very concerned because they have seem me in this condition many times. I've had lab work done very recently and it is normal. I take levothyrine 0.088 mcg daily. This problem isn't, normal. I am 77 years old and really in good health I do everything myself my big problem is this perfume sweating it really slows me down and I have a lot of things to do. Can you please help me.. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the instructions for a proper diagnose and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.
Your symptoms seems to be related to hyperhydrosis.
Most times, excessive sweating is harmless.
This situation can be caused by anxiety.
It can also be hereditary.
Some other diagnoses that cause this situation are:
-Diabetes
-Hyperthyroidism
-Obesity
-Rheumatoid arthritis
Some advices that I can give to you are:
-Use some atiperspirants that contain aluminum
-Medications called anticholinergics that affect the nerve signals to sweat glands.
Other treatments that can be performed by a doctor are:
-A low-intensity electrical current treatment called iontophoresis
-Botox injections for underarm sweating
Due to the fact that this situation can be caused also by some medical conditions I suggest you to do a blood test and the thyroid hormone level to confirm the diagnose .
You can contact me again after the examination.
Hope my answer was helpful.

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad