What is the cause of blackout, memory loss during blackout, and calf muscle cramps?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: female age 60. blackout, fell. memory loss during blackout, didn't remember falling. calf is cramping, feels like XXXXXXX horse. has hurt for the past hour. hadn't eaten today. had 2 glasses of wine.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a visit to the ER is recommended

Detailed Answer:

passing out and inability to remember the incident usually means that the hit was serious enough. Investigation is required to determine whether it's a just a concussion or a more serious injury. Another thing to consider is the reason you fell: an arrhythmia, a cardiovascular event like pulmonary embolism or other, etc is possible. Taking your calf symptoms into account a thromboembolic event is even more likely.

Therefore a visit to the ER is recommended to exclude serious disorders that may have caused the blackout and also to exclude serious injury.

I hope it helps!
Take care,
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis