What is the cause for pin and needles in arm and hands?

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the cause for pin and needles in my right arm and hand mainly at night enough to awaken me and is painful
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perhaps compression...

Detailed Answer:

Most commonly associated cause for pins and needles is compression caused by abnormal posture.
Some times as you sleep, blood vessels and nerves get compressed due to prolonged wrong posture. This compression causes pins and needles sensation. The symptoms usually lasts for awhile; and recovery is spontaneous.

Avoid sleeping on your arm or in any other abnormal position.

If this is not the case, then I would like to investigate you before I can answer your question. I would check your complete blood count, blood sugar, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D and TSH levels as the first set of investigations. Your local physician will know about these tests.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad