Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What is the cause for painful earache in children?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
my 14-year old has a very painful earache - our provider is closed. ANY IDEAS!!??
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Rule out foreign body, wax, insect Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to healthcare-magic Greetings of the day I would suggest the following probability as the cause of pain in your daughter and will also guide you to some extent to find out yourself what it could be( There is no substitute for good clinical examination by an experienced Surgeon) 1. furuncle or boil over the pinna or the external auditory canal(the tunnel of ear): Use a pen torch to see for any pin point area of redness/swelling/erythema at the pinna of ear; also look at the back and in front of the pinna. 2.Pull the ear(pinna) upwards and outwards as if pulling it away from the head, visualize the canal by pen torch and look inside it for any possible boil, furuncle, redness or impacted wax , or any insect or foreign matter in it. Also look for any purulent discharge from the canal. 3. There could also be referred pain in the ear especially if there is respiratory tract infection If there is no associated discharge its likely that the ear drum(tympanic membrane is intact) and it is a good sign. Having done this , and if you happen to find anything significant do let me know. in the meantime empirically i could suggest you the following which could help many of the causes and its unlikely to go harm 1. Instillation of ear drops containing Ciprofloxacin and steroid like Betamethasone 3-4 drops every 4 hourly will be beneficial 2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will provide symptomatic relief Do rule out presence of wax, insect and foreign body. It may be difficult in your case as you are not experienced. following the advise of drops will definitely help even in these cases. In case you need any further assistance, do get back to me, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor