What is the cause for burning and bleeding while urinating?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Its burning and bleeding when i urinate
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer: MOSTLY URINARY INFECTION. CONSULT WITH DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. According to your presentation, I can assume that you are mostly suffering from Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) which is more common among women because of the small urethra and its location close to the anus. It is diagnosed based on the presence of above symptoms, urine dipstick test in an office which would evidence of infection. Urine is also sent to the lab to find out exactly which bacteria is causing the infection through routine and culture test. There are some bacteria like E.coli etc more commonly found. TREATMENT: It includes the drinking of lot of fluids or water (2.5 to 3 lit/day) to flush the bacteria, taking cranberry juice and antibiotics. The most commonly used antibiotics are amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin. Kindly, consult with your doctor or healthcare provider for complete prescription. To prevent recurrence, women who are sexually active should empty the bladder before and after intimacy so that there is no urine present to be contaminated. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Maintain genital hygiene. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 17 hours later
Ive been married for 7months now and urine and vagina infection happens every month. What should i do as ive gone through culture test ans have had many medicines every time.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. You have to do following things to prevent repeated infection or recurrence: 1) Take healthy diet with more anti-oxidant (like Vitamin E, C, Zinc, Lycopene etc) to boost natural immunity. Drink more water to flush out body toxin. You can take cranberry juice or urine alkaliser to reduce bacterial over load. 2) Maintain genital hygiene and empty bladder each time before and after sex. It is very much crucial thing. Also, proper shaving and correct hand washing (from front to back) are quite important. Vaginal douching should be avoided. 3) Your partner also needs one urine examination (both routine & culture) to rule out urinary infection if any. In such case, full course of antibiotic is required for him. His genital hygiene maintenance is also important. 4) Avoid contact with chemical subs/ soap/ detergent/ perfume or other bath products around genital region (mainly vaginal portion). Don't insert any foreign object inside vagina. They may aggravate the condition. 5) Do regular mild to moderate exercise to control or reduce body weight and for overall fitness. It also improve blood circulation and corrects hormonal imbalance. 6) Avoid mental stress or emotional upset by regular meditation or yoga for 15 to 30 min. Stress relief is quite important for healthy life style. 7) Last thing, vaginal dryness should be controlled by regular using moisturizer like VAGISIL cream or KY gel. It is much needed for better lubrication of glands and controlling of infection. Vaginal suppository (like CLINGEN or 3-NITE etc) at bed time may be required if infection is quite severe and associated with discharge or itching. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen