What is the cause and treatment of petechiae?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Question: whats cause and treatment of pitikia?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Petechiae are purple spots on the body caused by a minor hemorrhages.

Petechiae appear when capillaries bleed, leaking blood into the skin.
A number of conditions can cause petechiae and these include prolonged straining during activities like coughing, crying etc (petechiae in this instance are harmless and usually disappear within a few days), medicines like aspirin, atropine, carbamazepine, infections (fungal, viral and bacterial infections) like CMV infection, parvovirus infection, sepsis etc, Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), vitamin K deficiency, scurvy and leukemias (blood cancer).

Treatment of petechiae is dependent on the cause and is usually done by treating any underlying condition responsible for the blotches. This is usually done by stopping medications, treating infections, surgery, platelet transfusion etc.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.