What is the cause and treatment for vertigo?
Hi Ms. XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.
Vertigo has several causes and is mainly classed into central and peripheral. While central causes are due to derangement in the brain or spinal cord, peripheral vertigo occurs due to anomalous function in the inner ear.
Investigation should be guided to locate the exact cause and treatment planned thereupon. Head injuries, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and use of certain medications like anti-depressants and aspirin increase the risk for vertigo. Meniere's disease, infections of the inner ear, basilar artery migraine, multiple sclerosis, stroke or tumors of the brain also may cause vertigo.
Treatment is based on the cause located after a proper diagnosis. Most often, proper positioning of the head and rehabilitation exercises help. Medications are also available for treatment. Some of the vertigo attacks resolve spontaneously while others need active management.
Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for any more clarifications. I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes recurrence of vertigo
- Vertigo causes and treatment
- What causes vertigo and dizziness
- What is the treatment for gidiness caused due to vertigo
- What is the treatment for vertigo and cervical spondylosis
- What is the cause and symptoms of vertigo
- What diseases cause vertigo
- What is the treatment for vertigo
- What are the symptoms and treatment for vertigo
- What drugs cause vertigo
- Have had cesarean. What are the chances of cesarean for next pregnancy?
- Fetal heart rate 112-118 at 6 weeks pregnancy. Is this normal?
- Missing periods after mirena coil fitted. Should I be worried?
- Have PCOD. Advised gynaset. Looking for suggestion
- Pregnant. Started spotting, no cardiac activity seen. Taling fertigyn...
- Got delayed and prolonged period. What am I suffering from?
- Took postpone - 72 after unprotected sex. Started spotting. Side effect...
- Had novasure procedure. Getting smelly light red discharge. Any infection?
- Took paxil for anxiety disorder. Had unprotected sex. Missing period and...
- How to postpone my period date?