What is the cause and treatment for trichotillomania?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Dr. I am a Female 31 years old, I have bald patches on side ways and near forhead area.
I had healthy and beautiful hair from childhood later I had typhoid when i was 12 yrs old had sever hairfall but later on I got bad habit of plucking my hair and since than I had my hair back with self controlling but I go back to same plucking again and that resulted into bald patches however am controlling myself but now my hair has started turning grey.
Any solution for same. I am applying Tugain 5% solution but not applying it regularly.

Can you please prescribe me some medicines or is it advisible to continue Tugain if so how often should I apply is in scalp.

This hair problem gives me stress. Please note my skin is also oily and am obese

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Trichotillomania

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Hello and Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.
I have also looked at your picture. After going through your query. I would keep a possibility of Trichotillomania or compulsive hair pulling.
It is characterised by recurrent pulling out of one's hair resulting in noticeable hair loss. An increasing sense of tension immediately pulling out the hair or when attempting to resist the behaviour.
Pleasure, gratification or relief when pulling out the hair.
The disturbance is not better accounted by another mental disorder and is not due to dermatological condition. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

Behavioural therapy aimed at habit reversal and pharmacotherapy using selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor group of drugs has been effective.
I would suggest that you seek an appointment with a psychiatrist regarding habit/compulsive hair pulling.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Thank you for the reply yes I too earlier searched and knew that its Trichotillomania.
Yes i ends up pulling hair while am thinking over anything could be related to work or in general.

Can you prescribe me any medicines for re-hair growth please.
The Medicines that I have used earlier which I have mentioned in form did help me earlier but I stopped using for a while.

Do you suggest me to start taking them again or any other medicines / home remedy can you prescribe to cure baldness / stopping of grey hair.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trichotillomania treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You can use 5% Tugain solution. It should be applied twice daily at the scalp skin, 1ml each time.

You can also take an oral biotin supplement e.g Tab. H-Vit forte, once daily

I would rather suggest specific treatment of compulsive hair picking with a SSRTIs(selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). For that you need to review with a psychiatrist.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist