What is the cause and treatment for tinnitus?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi! I had some impacted ear wax removed from my ear last week. At that time I had ringing in my ears and was very anxious about it. I thought having the wax removed would resolve the ringin in my ears, but I'm still having symptoms. I also developed a cough that seems worse in the morning. Sometimes I also feel feverish and swaty, but i don't have a real high temperature. I'm wondering what could be going on. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the ears checked again...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Ringing in the ear also known as tinnitus is noticed due to various reasons. To mention a few:
1. Impacted ear wax
2. Inner ear nerve damage
3. Trauma to the ear drum
4. Blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear), etc.

In your case, the wax may or may not be completely removed, which could be one of the causes for persistence of tinnitus. This requires re-checking of the ear.

Secondly, Eustachian tube block secondary to an upper respiratory tract infection can cause tinnitus, fever and cough. Hence, this has to be treated simultaneously.

My sincere advice to you is, to go back to your doctor and get your eardrum checked again to look for any perforation or retained wax. If everything is clear, then get audiological investigation done to rule out any inner ear nerve damage.

Meanwhile do steam inhalation, drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food and beverages. This will take care of your cough and Eustachian tube block (if any).

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj