Owl Image

What is the cause and treatment for tinea versicolor on chest?

Question
I have had this dry looking circle on my chest that is surrounded by white spots around it for almost 2 years and it never goes away. It does not itch but today part of the white skin came off and now it hurts. Not sure what this is a spider bite then again it never changes its shape always stays the same...
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tinea Versicolor...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

I think that you suffer from a condition called tinea versicolor. The cause of this condition is a fungus called pityrosporum ovale, which is a nonharmful yeast that is found in the surface of the skin, but in certain cases it grows out of control.

For the diagnosis, a physical examination by your dermatologist is needed. Then, your dermatologist might take a skin scraping, by viewing skin cells under a microscope.

You need to get a complete blood count too.

The treatment of the condition is a local treatment and it contains antifungal creams such as Clotrimazole.

Ask me for anything unclear.

Dr. Behar.