What is the cause and treatment for stomach infections in an infant?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello Sir, my daughter is 2 month old (67 days).she is suffering with loose motion with greenish colour and vomiting from last 3 weeks after breast feeding. Vommiting has started after starting the medication.Her birth weight was 2.34.She loose her weight 200g within 4 days after giving the antibiotic.Doctor gave her Walamycin,zincolife syrup,vitazyme drops.Is it safe? what is the reason for this green stool? her weight was 3.5 kg yesterday?

We had stopped giving valamycin for one day and loose motion got heavy and while contacting the physician he informed us to continue the antibiotic, and informed us stopping of antibiotic before completion of the course period will be harmful for the baby.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue with the treatment.

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest you to continue with the treatment given by your doctor.
Though most of the stomach infections in the infants are viral you have to complete antibiotics once it is started to avoid resistance.
Do not worry about side effects they are very rare and includes nausea, skin rash, allergy.

For vomiting you can give granisetron or motinorm after consulting with your treating doctor.

Also you can try probiotics like sporlac or eugi XXXXXXX once a day in mother's milk.

Weight may be reduced due to dehydration, it will be recovered once loose motion and vomiting settles.

And coming to your last query, Green stool may be A food sensitivity, Side effects of medication, Your baby's feeding routine, A stomach bug.
Not giving the hind milk may also be the reason.

Hope i helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad