What is the cause and treatment for severe coughing in a child?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my 6 year old is coughing a lot during day especially when running and at night he has cough attacks to where he cant breath and he sounds like he is choking and trying to catch breath. I have taking him to doctor twice and first visit got a steroid shot and cough medicine and amoxicillin. Second time got breathing treatments which don't seem to help much either.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be bronchospasm.

Detailed Answer:

I will be happy to have some more detailes like history of fever, frequency of episodes of cough or respiratory infection, overall development of child.

It looks to me exersice induced bronchospasm or asthma.
You can try oral brochodilators like salbutamol.
You can also effectively use the inhaled bronchodilators (short acting and long acting) and steroids also, as needed or directed by the treting doctor.

Walking for 10 to 15 mins, and breathing through nose(mouth closed) while running may prevent the attack.
Night time cough also indicates the similar problem which will require similar treatment.
Hope i helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
this just recently started about a month ago at this severity but he would cough alot when he would run or play sports. is there some form of over counter medicine I can get him for this?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
you can try syp. salbutamol.

Detailed Answer:

I am not sure if you can get any medicines over the counter. Children's Benadryl which is available over the counter to treat cough; but I don't think it will be that effective. I would prefer syp salbutamol 5ml three times a day in this condition along with montelukast tablets. You can check with your pharmacy if these are over the counter. Approach a doctor for prescription if it's not over the counter.

If the aforementioned drug does not work then inhaler like short acting bronchodilator may be tried.

Avoid cold things or exposure to cold wind, keep the room of child dust free, do not keep books or curtains in room as they can attract dust.

Hope this answers your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad