• question-icon

What is the cause and treatment for scabies

Posted on Tue, 6 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I recentlydeveloped dry, itchy skin on crtain parts of my body.I suspected scabies even though five different doctors examined me and found no evidenceofany live infestation in my skin.I thought I was losing my mind, especiallywhen I was able to pull strange things out of my skin.I took samples of what I had to the dermatologist.He said he did not know what they were,but said they looked like some sort of fiber.I am so afraid of what these things might be.I seem to get more of them as time passes.What can I do?My husband says I am mentally ill.Icannot live a normal life.Can you please help me?Thankyou,XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Rule out Parasitophobia Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the probable scabies infestation and dry, itchy skin. After reading your query I can make out that you have visited several of doctors and all of them have ruled out the possibility of scabies. To tell you about Scabies: It is a parasitic infestation by a mite. It is specifically manifested as crawling sensation all over the body but particularly over web spaces of hands, arm pits, around nipples, abdomen, genital area and over thighs. There are multiple small bumps on the above mentioned areas. This is typically worse at night time. Once it occurs then it is rule that other family members are also affected in short period of time. As I can get your history, I cannot find any such kind of symptoms. Therefore the condition of scabies is out and you should not think in the same direction. Een if still you think that you are infested with scabies then it can be treated very simply. In my patients I prefer the overnight application of "Permethrin" 5% lotion or cream below neck area. Once you apply it gives complete relief. If at all still you feel the same kind of feeling then the other condition to rule out is Parasitophobia. It is a psychological condition where nothing is wrong on the skin but there is a feeling of worms crawling on the skin. I suggest you to meet your treating doctor and rule out the possibility of Parasitophobia and therefore guide and refer you accordingly. For the part of dry, itchy skin you can follow the suggestions below: -Apply over the counter white petroleum gelly 3-4 times a day. -You can do warm water compresses to reduce the intensity of itching. -Do not scratch or rub the skin as it can lead to further aggravation. -You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine under medical advice. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help. "With best health wishes" Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist