Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is the cause and treatment for reflex sympathetic dystrophy(RSD)?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
My mother dropped a piece of wood (for woodstove) on her shin, going on 2 years now. The skin on her shin is now permanently bruised looking, warm, and making her ankle swell. She has had x-rays and ultrasound but they haven't found DVT or even a break. But after this long of time, it's really concerning. The redness seems to be spreading and the doctors can't seem to find an answer.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Condition more likely to be due to CRPS/RSD Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX Thanks for the clinical photograph and history of your mother. Based on the history you have provided and the clinical photograph, the condition appears to be more likely Reflex Sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) {New terminology for the same is Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)}. The lesion does not look like Cellulitis or DVT and hence diagnostic possibility of CRPS becomes much higher. The International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) lists the diagnostic criteria for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I (CRPS I) as follows: 1.The presence of an initiating noxious event or a cause of immobilization 2. Continuing pain, allodynia (perception of pain from non-painful stimulus), or hyperalgesia (an exaggerated sense of pain) disproportionate to the inciting event 3. Evidence at some time of edema, changes in skin blood flow, or abnormal Pseudo-motor activity in the area of pain 4. The diagnosis is excluded by the existence of any condition that would otherwise account for the degree of pain and dysfunction. The treatment is usually multi-modality and includes both Non-Pharmacological(without use of drugs) and Pharmacological including Surgical intervention which is based on clinical examination and investigations. I would suggest you to discuss this condition with the treating Physician as one of the differential diagnosis for redness and edema. Do not worry things can be definitely be taken care In case you need any further assistance, kindly get back to me. I would be glad to assist you. Take care Wish your mother good health Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Kaltari MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor