• question-icon

What is the cause and treatment for recurring yeast infections?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am having problems with recurring yeast infections. My primary care physician first prescribed treatment for a UTI I, but the symptoms did not really subside. She then prescribed treatment for a yeast infection, the pill antibiotic that you take for one dose. That seemed to work, but my symptoms are back with a burning and itching sensation in the vaginal area, cramping, etc. I often have to get up in the night to pee because of pressure on my bladder. I experience lots of general discomfort in the vaginal area.

I have started a 7-day over he counter treatment for the yeast infection, but I am concerned because I also have a fibroid and I am wondering if that could somehow be related to what is happening in my body now.....Also...my boyfriend was also diagnosed with a yeast infection that has not entirely gone away. He was given an antibiotic to treat this but never took it. It is Cephalexin 500 mg........could I take it?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CEPHALEXIN IS NOT EFFECTIVE FOR YEAST INFECTION.

Detailed Answer:

1) Cephalexin 500 mg is NOT much effective to treat yeast infection or Urinary Tract Infection. Your boyfriend may require Oral Fluconazole tab to treat yeast infection. Kindly, consult with doctor for prescription.

2) You are MOSTLY suffering from recurrent vaginal yeast infection. Vaginal suppository with combined Clindamycin and Clotrimazole can be used for 5-7 days at bed time.

Use vaginal moisturizer cream like RepHresh pH gel or VAGISIL cream to avoid repeated infection and maintain vaginal pH. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Avoid chemical cosmetics, perfume or scented bath products around genital area. Keep the area mostly dry. You also avoid unprotected sexual intercourse along with chemical lubricant until your problem is resolved completely.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist