What is the cause and treatment for recurrent ear infection?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have add ear pain for 4-5 months ago. I have had a total of 4 ear infections and been to the primary doctor 2 times, ENT doctor 5 times, Chrio 3 times, and dentist 2. NO one can figure out why I am having these issue. They say maybe allergies, however I don't have a running noise, cough or itchy or watery eyes. The allergy test relived that I am allergies to mold, dust, trees, and grass. They all said possible TMJ, however it doesn't seem to explain everything else. Deep down I just feel like it is something else.
Symptoms.
-Right ear pain very (Stabbing, and everything sound loud) the pain comes and goes and sometimes will go away for an entire day
-Left ear slight pain that comes and goes.
The pain is sometimes relieved if I put my figure in my ear and kind of open the canal up. It appears to be swollen.
-the middle of the back of my head at bottom of hair line sometimes has pain, but not like a headache. If I push on it sometimes helps with the ear pain.
I have pain that travels down the right side of my neck into my shoulder. It appears to be a nerve. Once the pain moves down it will settle in my shoulder/neck for a while and my ear will feel better for a little while.
-I wake in the middle of the night with jaw and teeth pain. ( have been putting a heating pad on my head/jaw in order to get back to sleep)
-Sometimes my throat will hurt (The ENT doctor said I have inflamed tonsils and if they don’t get this under control I will need to have them removed)
-Night sweats and fever about once a month for the last 6 months that last for a day or two. One night last week I actually had to change my PJS four times during the night, but yet I was freezing. I thought I just had the flu last week, but it is weird since everyone else in my house never got it, they just had colds with a cough. The fever was low grade and I would feel fine for an hour and then hit would hit me again this went on for days.
-Green pop on occasion (about once a week)
This started in February and I feel like I am getting worst, but go through periods that I feel like I am over it and then hit hard again.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. During recurrent, unexplained ear infection, an ear swab must be sent to check whether it is bacterial, viral or fungal infection.

2. The rest of your symptoms suggest a neuralgia. Medication for neuralgia differs from regular anti-inflammatory medication. Get a Neurologist's opinion.

3. Consult an Infectious Disease specialist. Do you have any exposure to pet or wild animals? Zoonotic diseases must be ruled out in addition to autoimmune disorders and routine screening.

4. Do you have a habit of cleaning your ears yourself?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 minutes later
I currently deal with prudential nerve entrapment and have had for 5 years. Just finished physical thermopy and feel a lot better. Could this nerve pain have moved into my neck?

No I don't have any exposure to animals at all. NO Pets, however this all started right before my vacation with a sinus infection. I went out of the country for a week and felt better only to return feeling worst.

Yes I use to always clean my ears with a q-tip pretty much my entire life. I also use to sleep with ear plugs in. Not sure if this reacted or increased my issues.

I am also an admit swimmer and recently started to have to swim with plugs since it if very painfully to get water in my ears.

Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The ear problem is not likely to be related to the pudendal nerve entrapment.

2. Get a plain Sinus CT done.

3. You seem to have recurrent Otitis Externa. Cleaning the ear with q-tips causes abrasions. Water entering the ear while swimming will cause such symptoms. Earplugs may worsen the infection and increase the bacterial or fungal count.

Regards.