What is the cause and treatment for post nasal drip?

ENT Specialist
Question
Im XXXXXXX Age 30 female having unilateral (right side) throat pain for one month.. Symptoms started when i had cold. No pain when im on antibiotic and recurs when i stop .... Tried sultamycilin and augmetin
When i cough salty secretion comes
Suffering due to tonsilitis from childhood
Removed rhinolith in the right side of nose year back
Symptoms worsens in the night time
Not a smoker never used alcohol
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are having post nasal drip more on right side.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As per your clinical history it appears that you are having post nasal drip more on right side of your throat causing you recurrent throat pain.
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you use Plenty of fluid ,antiseptic mouthwash like triguard , Steam Inhalation , Saline nasal drop twice daily ,Antihistaminic levocetirizine + Montelukast combination & Antibiotic azithromycin 500mg once for 7 days.
I would also like to examine your nose & sinuses by doing diagnostic nasal endoscopy to see any chronic source of infection .
If tonsillitis recur more frequently & disturbing your routine life consider for tonsillectomy.
Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for post nasal drip? 12 hours later
I also have ear ache along with throat pain

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Earache is a referred pain because of throat pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,

Thanks for the follow up query.

Earache is a referred pain because of throat problem due to same nerve supply of both .

Don't use any ear bud for rubbing ear canal . It will subside as throat pain decrease.

Hope this information helpful to you .
Wish you good health.
Regards.