What is the cause and treatment for pityriasis rosea?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 17 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have big 1 and a half inch yellowish flat not perfectly circular spot or blotch with reddish ring around it on upper right side of abdomen. What am i looking at ?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same .
I have seen the attached picture. It looks like a lesion of pityriasis rosea to me.
I would like to know since when do you have this skin lesion?
Did it appear suddenly overnight or was it small earlier and then progressively increased?
Any associated itching or discomfort?
Any other lesions over the trunk or rest of the body?
Have you applied anything over it?

I would certainly be of more help once you provide me the above details .

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
it appeared about week and a half ago and not so much with red ring. more of a yellow pale spot about half inch or so and grew. There is no itching or discomfort and skin is still fairly smooth. I thought it might be ringworm so i applied Lotramin for ring worm several times. Not much improvement from lotion treatment. My major concern is does this have anything to do with my liver since this is the organ behind this blotch.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pityriasis rosea, benign skin disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
The skin lesion that you have developed is that of pityriasis rosea .
It is basically a benign skin disease . You seem to have developed a lesion called herald patch which is the initial lesion in this skin disorder.
In most of the people, this lesion is followed by development of multiple other similar but smaller skin lesions mainly over the trunk region. These lesions tend to develop in crops and can take four to six weeks for complete healing.
However it your case, since it has been one and a half week since the herald patch has developed , so you might just be lucky enough not to develop any more lesions.
You should remember that this is a harmless skin disease . It has nothing to do with liver or any other body organ . The lesion will heal by itself in four to six weeks.
You can apply a mild topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day .
If there is any associated itching or discomfort , you can take oral tablet claritin once a day.
You should not really worry much about the skin lesion since it might take its time to completely heal. There is also a possibility that this might be followed up by development of more similar lesions .

Hope it helps

Please ask if you need any further clarifications

Dr Geetika Paul