What is the cause and treatment for persistent rib pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have had on-going rib pain that has been off and on for the past three years, but it seems like it is getting worse. It is a particular spot on the rib that is tender at times on the lower right rib. I feel the pain if I press on it, or if I am laying on that side at times. When I first noticed the pain (about three years ago), I did go to an urgent care facility, and they did an x-ray, and they diagnosed me with chostocondritis.... I'm concerned because everything I read about chostocondritis is mainly on the left side.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will advise you to further investigate

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
There is possibility of nerve compression leading to tender spot on rib.
I will advise you MRI and HRCT chest.
costochondritis if present will be confirmed on CT.
Local physiotherapy like ten and matrix may help you.
Another possibility of any old lesion leading to pain.
It can be ruled out on CT scan.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.