What is the cause and treatment for nausea?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was hospitalized in Sept and again in October (2013) (12-14 day stays) for PE (no obvious cause), DVT(totally asymptomatic), 2nd hospitalization was for Gross hematuria ( cleared up after 8 days, and off heparin). I have been losing weight, 14 lbs in 7 weeks, 27 total in 3 months. Nausea every day, Vomiting about every other day. Kytril causes significant insomnia, and Zofran causes headaches. Hardly eat due to not keeping even tea, or tea and toast down. Doctor just suggested Reglan. My Cardiologist just suggested Marinol. Really hate medications, but it is really affecting my life. Basically my scans and most blood work so far have now returned to almost normal. Ferritin did go from high 200+ to 17.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer: details follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney . I have read your query in detail. I understand your concern. You had an unprovoked episode of DVT & PE , for which i am sure you must have been investigated. As unprovoked episodes of DVT and PE warrants additional testing for relatively rare conditions like Protein C & S Deficiency , Factor V Leiden and many others. Here your main query is for your nausea so let's limit our discussion for that. Nausea can be due to the drugs you are taking specially the Warfarin. It is associated in few patients with severe nausea and even loss of appetite leading to weight loss. However , you can't quit that drug at cost of nausea. But you may discuss with your doctor regarding replacing it with Acitrom (acenocoumarol) , it is relatively better tolerated. But since you are already doing good on warfarin , so changing to Acitrom should be done only if your nausea is irresistible. You have not mentioned but if you are taking Aspirin also , that is commonly prescribed with these co-morbid conditions , it can cause Gastric Ulcerations and nausea. You may also get an Upper GI Endoscopy to rule causes like Peptic Ulcer disease and H.pylori infection. However , again since you are on anti coagulation , Endoscopy would be a risky investigation. Since you also mention having Dysphagia and esophageal difficulties , chances of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) are also there. I have just discussed all various possibilities. If you ask for my personal opinion , i would not recommend any Endoscopy or Acitrom , until and unless , your nausea is very troublesome. Coming to treatment part , i would recommend you to discuss with your doctor about taking a combination of Pantoprazole and domperidone. I would not advise you to take Reglan. It is not a safe drug in elderly. However , you may take Marinol as it helps in stimulating appetite. This is my best advice for you based on details available here. Hope it helps you. If you have any further query, you may please ask me , i am always available for your help. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Dr. Anshul Varshney