Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

What is the cause and treatment for macular degeration?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 641 Questions
My mother was told she has bleeding in the back of her eye. she has macular degeration in that eye. what would cause this and should she see her regular physician?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She should consult her ophthalmologist Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Your mother has macular degeneration few years back. Now she had trauma to bone under left eye. On examining they found bleeding at the back of eye. Age your mother's age is 85 years, she has age related macular degeneration (AMD). Now AMD is of two types: Dry AMD- No treatment for loss of vision due to this. Wet AMD- Bleeding is common is this condition and if left untreated can cause loss of vision. Since the trauma may or may not be related to bleeding, it is necessary to consult her Ophthalmologist for complete eye examination. Only After findings required treatment can be started. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor