What is the cause and treatment for lower back pain?
Can be due to microscopic tears
Thanks for posting your query.
Lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain like you are having. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears. These tears cannot be detected on routine investigations.
Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). You can consult with a neurologist regarding this for proper management of the case.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST while maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and muscle relaxants are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.
It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.
5) Epidural Steroid Injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the treatment for back pain
- Acute lower back pain treatment
- What is the cause and treatment for severe back pain
- What treatment should be done for lower back pain
- What is the treatment for lower back pain
- What is the cause and treatment fro back pain
- What is the treatment for prolonged lower back pain
- Treatment for lower back pain
- Treatment for lower abdominal and back pain
- What is the treatment for severe chronic lower back pain