What is the cause and treatment for low haemoglobin level?

Excellent

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I have low haemoglobin ,got it checked today i.e. 9.8
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reticulocyte count evaluation necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Hemoglobin of 9.8g% indicates mild anemia.
However, to evaluate for improvement, and whether soaked raisins is working or not - you need to get a "reticulocyte count test" done.

You are taking treatment with soaked raisins, assuming it to be iron or Vitamin deficiency. If there were other causes, the anemia wont improve. So, a reticulocyte count evaluation is necessary.

For Thalassemia, "Hemoglobin electrophoresis" test is necessary and can be done, when the present anemia does not improve.

I assume you would have a whole test report including red cell indices (mcv, mch, mchc, rdw) and if you would be able to attach the report, I will be able to help you more.

Can you also mention your previous hemoglobin values or any other hematology reports (Vit B12 assay, serum ferritin, total iron binding capacity, serum transferrin etc) to followup the present one.
Do follow up with your queries.
Thanks for asking.
Dr. Jyothi BL

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for low haemoglobin level? 56 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr XXXXXXX B L .I will share the reports by tomorrow !

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Will wait for reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome. will wait for reports.

Dr. Jyothi BL

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for low haemoglobin level? 14 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX ,

I have uploded the reports test done. Please let me know what should i take to reduce this deficiency ,increase haemoglobin level.

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thalassemia carrier along with nutritional deficit

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I went through the report. The report is of 2010. After going through the values, it appears to beta thalassemia carrier. The high HbA2 levels, reduced MCV along with normal serum iron at that times favor a diagnosis of Beta thalassemia carrier.
Confirmation is required through molecular testing.
However, it would not affect you much. In future you might need to check for your newborn, to look into possible inheritance.

However, your recent hemoglobin values are reduced more than previously and i suspect a possible nutritional deficiency or increased bleeding. You need to improve your nutrition with supplements (composed of multi-vitamins with iron) or through natural ones like red meat, egg, etc or even soaked raisins.

Reticulocyte count is necessary for evaluating improvement. If possible, get this test done.

Improve your nutrition through supplements - natural or artificial to improve the hemoglobin.
If there is increased bleeding during menstrual cycles, discuss with your doctor towards reducing it.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for low haemoglobin level? 37 hours later
Thank you so much Dr XXXXXXX BL .It really helps to gain mental piece that you said it would not affect me much.Could please help me identifying food items which i should eat more.I don't eat non-veg.I am eggeterian . What all fruits , vegetables , other supplements should take to improve HB at better pace.However i will get Reticulocyte count done whenever i get time. Thanks you once again for your guidance & ways suggested to overcome this problem.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
2 eggs per day along with soaked raisins

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
You are welcome.
Do not look much into nutritional diet. 2 eggs per day along with soaked raisins should help you. Vit B12 is not present in veg diet and is prepared by bacteria in Gut, you will get it from eggs. You can eat all you want in a balanced manner. If you want, you can take any nutritional supplements composed of vitamins and minerals. That should be more than adequate.
You are still young and you eat everything. Nutritional diet prescription is usually for elderly, as they become choosy and loose on essential items. You can have 2 eggs per day with soaked raisins and you will get all the nutrition.

If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the query and rate the answers.
Have a healthy life.
Dr. Jyothi BL