Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What is the cause and treatment for itchy vulva?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
I have a problem with an itchy vulva. I am 82 years old and take many meds, some of which I have after a heart attack last August, but I had this itch before the attack. I am divorced and have no sexual partner. I have tried many different creams and T- Tree oil as well as simple corn starch ( which my doctor advised). but I still have this itch. I also take a probiotic. I think I need a medical exam and oral meds. I also have IBS. which flares up occasionally.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be vulval lesion. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have analyzed your query, definitely you need a clinical evaluation mainly to rule out any VULVAL LESION. The right treatment will be based on physical examination findings. If there is any lesion you might even require to undergo a vulval biopsy. I hope I have answered your questions. I will be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itchy vulva? 3 hours later
Is there an oral medication which could clear this problem? My General practitioner has not examined me, but she said she would not give me a prescription because she said I take enough oral Meds (10 meds a day) and . a dry, old fashioned powder like corn starch would clear up the itch. I will make an appointment with her however and ask her about a vulva lesion but the itch is only on the surface of the vulva and not on the labias or elsewhere.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Local antiseptic cream application Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, first of all you need a clinical evaluation to diagnose the condition, if there is any vulval infection then you might need local antiseptic cream for temporary relief. But, if there is any lesion then depending on its features treatment can be planned. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor