Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cause and treatment for itching and bumps at penis base?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
I have itch particularly on right side of the base of penis. The effected area visually looks to have round bumps more around hair. The bump does not ooze any liquid on squeezing. It's like goose bumps but more rounded. Have taken anti fungal and bacteria candid cream and powder and oral based on dermatologist suggestion but the itch doesn't seem to go. It's been there now for 20 odd days. I also feel very slight burning just at the neck of penis(inside) while passing urine. Please advise. Further to add to symptoms, without passing urine also I feel a very slight warm burning sensation around neck of penis particularly where fore skin meets head. I haven't had any unprotected penetrative sex nor the protection ever failed, though had unprotected oral sex performed by a partner of unknown medical history. Checked with Dermatologist post 25 days of incident, who believe the appearance doesn't give indication / symptom of STI. Unsure what do I need to apply to get the itch over and the slight burning sensation go away, been 15 days applying the candid powder and taking oral medication I.e. I have been taking Nizral 200 mg for last 10 days, 1 each day. That did not close the itching, went again to dermatologist where he advised to take Syscan 150 mg, once a week after physically looking at the bumbs at bottom of penis shaft. Now on 15th day. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Goosebumps like lesion are perfectly normal findin Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The goose bump like lesion are normal appearance because of prominence of base of hair follicles. It is definitely not fungal or any other infective lesion. I do see such appearance of genital in many of the patients, they have no complaints related to it. These appearance become more prominent following shaving. There is no need to squeeze them. They are perfectly normal and do not cause any symptoms. I would suggest you to stop bothering about it, as they are just part of normal variation. Rest be assured everything is alright. Coming to symptoms of burning at the site where foreskin meets the glans(head), in majority of cases it's due to irritation of the whitish secretion from the base of glans know as Smegma. I would suggest you the following 1. Get Urine microscopic examination done to rule out associated Urinary tract infection. If it's ruled out then there is no further cause of concern. 2. Hot Seitz bath- in a tub of warm water, add two handful of common table salt. Sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes, pull back the prepuce exposing the head and clear it off all whitish smegma. Replace back the skin at end of it. 3. After the above procedure, get out of tub. Clean and dry the area, pull back the prepuce apply steroid ointment like Betamethasone all over and replace back the prepuce. Apply steroid for 3weeks only. You should see lot of improvement in your symptoms in the first week. Keep doing the hot Seitz bath procedure to maintain hygiene. I hope it helped Will be glad to assist you in case you need any further assistance. Wishing you happy and healthy life Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itching and bumps at penis base? 16 hours later
Thank you. 1. Done microscopic urine examination, Pus cells are 02-03, rbc is absent, epithelial cells 02-03, hyline casts absent, other casts absent, crystals absent, amorphous deposit is absent. 2. I do not see any whitish Smegma, Am particular about cleaning the area everyday, though will try the hot bath with salt for few days. The itch is particularly more around crouch area but more intense around the base of the shaft where I see these round bumps. The itch is more while wearing underwear as skin seems to be sensitive to hair touch. Do you advise me going for any particular checkup please.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be detergent allergy Detailed Answer: Namaste Your urine report is normal. There is no cause of concern. Presence of detergent residue in the underwear is also known to cause itching. I would suggest you to thoroughly washed your undergarments in warm water twice in order to remove all the traces of detergent. Also would suggest you to wear pure cotton underwear. Avoid using chemical agents for removal of public hairs. Taking antihistamine like Cetrizine may provide the much needed relief from itching. Clotrimazole dusting powder will help keep the area clean and dry. You do not need any further workup for the management. Do get back to me regarding the progress and improvement. Wishing you good health. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itching and bumps at penis base? 2 days later
Thanks have been applying Clotrimazole and the itch have lessened though slight burning sensation at the neck of penis hasn't. The sensation I feel is from inside just at the back where foreskin meets the head. My worry has been that reading all the information on net I tend to associate something or the other with herps or wart signs. Simply because this itch condition has lasted for atleast 20 days. Anyway to satisfy and close this doubt is there any test and what type should I ask the lab. Also the thought if having sex with my wife would be safe or not or is this condition infectious and if can get passed to other members (obviously if it's herps or wart). I do feel the casual itch all over my body. Maybe worrying too much. Please suggest appropriate check to close doubts please
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: IgM for Herpes can be done Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings I would like to tell you that there it's vast information available on the internet, literally ocean of information. But going through the advise Is always better. I assure you that lesion are unlikely to be herpes. So do not be worried brother, rest be assured everything is alright. You can safely have sexual intercourse with your wife. Taking antihistamine like Cetrizine will help relieve the itching . There are serology testing for herpes which you can do for reassurance. Wishing you a happy and healthy life Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itching and bumps at penis base? 21 hours later
Thanks, one last image uploadd. This is my neck and I see a growth(attached image). See one on my groin, ver similar. Are these warts. If yes. 1. What treatment should I take if warts. 2. Is Dermatologist the right person to go to? 2. What precaution should I take at home, with wife and kids. Do I completely avoid the sex now? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Non Veneral wart on neck Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings The lesion on the neck are small skin tags which have wart like presentation,they are not infective and do not get transmitted like the veneral warts. There is no need of avoiding sexual contact with wife. Also if the lesion in neck are causing symptoms especially if you are worried about cosmetic appearance, you can visit a Dermatologist. Single application of Podophyllin by the dermatologist will be effective. The lesion of neck are not very similar in morphology with the genital lesion. Rest be assured everything is alright Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor