What is the cause and treatment for iron deficiency?
will they work again. Very confused Best Regards XXXXXXX
Investigation is needed to reveal the cause
iron deficiency can be caused by reduced iron intake, increased losses or reduced absorption.
Reduced iron intake: avoiding meat, fish, eggs will usually cause iron deficiency.
Reduced absorption: commonly happens after stomach surgery.
Increased losses: bleeding - usually from the gastrointestinal system - but could also be the urinary tract or any other cause of bleeding. Skin loss due to psoriasis can also cause depletion of iron stores.
Ferritin levels should be low (usually less than 10ng/mL).
Iron replacement is the treatment. Iron can be given by mouth or by injection. The hematocrit may return to its normal levels after 1 month or so depending on the severity of the deficiency and the effect it had on your red blood cells production.
Besides treating the iron deficiency, investigation is warranted for its cause.
Endoscopic investigation of the stomach and intestine is the first step, a urinalysis to exclude urinary tract losses and diet assessment to judge whether the meals contain enough iron or not.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is iron deficiency anemia
- Iron deficiency treatment
- What is the cause and remedy for iron deficiency anaemia
- Iron deficiency anemia treatment
- Implanon cause iron deficiency
- Suggest treatment for iron deficiency
- What causes severe iron deficiency
- Methamphetamine and iron deficiency treatment
- Treatment and cure for iron deficiency
- Iron deficiency treatment with jaggery
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?