What is the cause and treatment for green and crusty scab inside the nostril?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a green crusty raised scab right inside my nostril that has been there for the last couple weeks. Every time I pull it out, it's very painful and comes back almost immediately. I have no other symptoms. What is this and what is the best way to treat?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Use saline nasal drops to loosen the crust before trying to remove it. This will help reduce the sore that forms after removal of a dry scab.

2. Request your physician to collect the loosened scab carefully and send it for culture in a sterile container.

3. Apply a local ointment containing a combination of an antibiotic, anti-fungal and steroid (such as Betnovate GM) for a few days.

4. Request an ENT specialist to look for the source of this scab. Vestibulitis, Sinusitis, Allergic Rhinitis, Deviated Nasal Septum, Atrophic Rhinitis are some of the common causes.

5. Avoid exposure to known allergens, dust and contamination of the nostril by scratching the scab with fingernails.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for green and crusty scab inside the nostril? 7 minutes later
Is this something I need to see a doctor for or need a prescription for or will it clear up on its own?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, you should see an ENT Specialist as these recurring scabs are not normal.

2. There is also pain and it returns immediately. This signifies an active process underlying the formation of this scab.

Regards.