• question-icon

    What is the cause and treatment for ganglion cysts on ankle?

Posted on Wed, 17 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: Hello,
I have attached a picture of a bumb that is on top of my ankle. It is soft and very. Could it be water or fat? If not what can it be? Is it serious ?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ganglion cyst - most possible cause.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.
Iam Dr Ganesh.

I have seen your image, thanks for uploading - its really helpful.

The most possible cause is ganglion cyst - Ganglion cysts most commonly develop along the tendons or joints of your wrists, ankles and feet, although these cysts can occur near other joints as well. Mostly its oval in shape painless - rarely may cause tingling and numbness.

It causes in case of excessive wear and tear, tendon injury (sports).

To diagnose it after examination, one will ask for a ultrasound, MRI will be very helpful. After confirmation the treatment.
Treatment in case is wait and watch as they are a symptomatic, if any symptoms treatment includes - immobility followed by aspiration of the fluid - if doesn't work surgery.

Hope it helps you.
If any thing to ask do not hesitate.
Good luck - wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh 28 minutes later
Is it serious ?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is not.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.

No its not a serious issue - don't worry.
but just followup and get treated as you can.

Good luck.

Dr Ganesh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh 18 minutes later
Do you think my dermatologist will remove it or leave it ?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can see your GP

Detailed Answer:

Yes a dermatologist can help you in this case. But I feel a surgeon or an ortho specialist will be more appropriate.
After examination if convinced with cyst - the doctor mostly leave option to you.
So see your specialist and follow the instructions and you take your decision.

Good luck

Dr. Ganesh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Ganesh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2344 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Ganglion cysts

doctor1 MD

My daughter just visited her PCP and he said she has a ganglion neuroma and they are referring her to a hand surgeon. Will they do an X-ray to get...

doctor1 MD

hi I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand August 20, 2012. They were also suppose to remove what they thought was a ganglion cyst on the palm...

doctor1 MD

I have a knot under the skin of my finger. It looks like a huge blood blister but is not from an injury .

doctor1 MD

I have a ganglion on the left side of my left foot. It is painful. Is there any home remedy or will I have to seek medical intervention.

doctor1 MD

hi sir, I have been masturbating since last 8 years.My age is now 27.I do once in a week.I would like to stop it.Will masturbation leads to...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ganesh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling and joint pain caused after an insect bite

  • Q - What causes pain around rib cage and large mass in breast?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for knee buckling

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe abdominal bloating and pain

  • Q - What causes sharp chest pain?

  • Q - What does absence of heart beat of foetus and stomach pain indicate?

  • Q - What causes tender area in left breast and armpit?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation

  • Q - What does the following dental x ray report indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for bleeding from ear