What is the cause and treatment for fatigue?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: 86 yr old male. ht, wt, normal. BP okw/med,consume36 oz water. Active indoor/outdoor. on 2 falls w/18 stitches in one.fall blame on recent fatigue
Request scrip for stimulant.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vit B12 can be taken. Other tests necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your clinical history and query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Recent fatigue can be due to few causes like anemia, hypothyroidism, Vit B12 deficiency etc.
2. Vitamin B12 is a very effective stimulant as its deficiency leads to neural damage.
3. Check hemoglobin levels and thyroid profile. These are two common causes.
4. Sleep should be adequate. Always use a walking stick.
5. Neurostimulants, other than Vit B12 can influence the heart too. Risk of cardiac complications could be present.

First routine causes should be ruled out. Take Vitamin supplements specifically vitamin B12. It will help you in improving neural coordination.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari