What is the cause and treatment for excessive hair loss?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
My name is XXXXXXX I am 21 year old now. I am now experience a lot of hair fall now,during bathing I could even directly see my inner part of head. I am experiencing hair fall now for 3 years. I thought I have only frontal baldness , but now in the mid part too there are lot of hair falls. In my past i didnot take care of hair, so its now lot of hairfall is seeing. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide details of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
I have seen the attached pictures .
You seem to have developed male pattern hair loss.
I would like to know what all treatment have you already taken .
Have you been applying anything .
Since your problem is in the initial phase ,it can surely be controlled with treatment .
Do you have any similar presentation in your siblings or father ?

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Thank you for the reply Doctor. I did not take any treatment. And in my age 15 i have applied Glate and after that my hairs become white.And at that time I used hair dyes. Now I am not using any of that mentioned. for nourishing hair I am being using Dove's hair conditioner and nothing much.And Yes my siblings have baldness issues, but my father doesnt have.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take regular treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Since your hair loss is still in the initial stage ,you should start treatment right away .
Apply minoxidil 10 percent lotion one ml twice daily over the affected areas of scalp .
Take tablet biotin 10 mg once daily .
Follow the above treatment regularly for atleast three months .
Wash hair twice weekly with any shampoo.
Be in regular follow up with a dermatologist.

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
can I use hair conditioners ? And Do i follow any diet routine ? How long It take to show the results? And I have read that in initial stage hair fall will increase, is that true? May i use shampoos daily? Is it necessary to consult direct contact with dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need regular long term treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes you can surely use hair conditioners ,they will help in softening the hair .
Take a biotin rich diet.Include more of dry fruits ,carrots ,fresh fruit,spinach and eggs in your diet.
Hair re growth takes time .You might see a noticable difference only after atleast two months of regular treatment .
Yes there is no problem in using shampoo daily ,just make sure you apply minoxidil regularly twice daily . No,it will not increase the hair fall . It is the most effective medicine for your problem .
It is always good to see a doctor in person and to be on regular follow ups.But you can also continue with your follow ups on this forum .

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Than You Doctor. I will Follow all of You have mentioned. Thanks alot.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best of health

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr Geetika Paul